Shower Sachets for Psoriasis Skin
Not everyone has a bathtub, some of our apartments only have showers. That being said, those with joint pain or have psoriatic arthritis can have trouble lowering themselves in and out of a bath. It can simply be too much to bear. There are days when our skin feels like it going to split at any minute.
While I dream of having a shower with plants draped around me with a seat for when I cannot stand anymore. The reality is that I live in a 4th-floor apartment with little to no chance of that happening.
However it remains my sanctuary when my bones are weary, my soul is tired and my skin is hurting. This reality that we face has left me looking for ways to make my shower more soothing. Shower sachets are my most favorite.
What are shower sachets?
Shower sachets (also known as shower tea and shower spa bags) can be bought or made to add relaxation to your shower routine. The fabric can be muslin, handkerchiefs, cheesecloth, or even strips of nylon pantyhose cut to fit the palm of your hand and closed with tied ends.
These sachets provide a lovely, luxurious aroma and steamed atmosphere that can be beneficial to the skin, ease stress, and help soothe aches and pains.
Tea itself has a calming effect when indulging. It’s something that is easy to go down and you may have also heard it be described as “a bath for your insides.” Why not apply something similar to your shower routine?
Oats shower sachet
Oats are, in my opinion, the important thing to carry over from the bath. Finding a way to use this is in the shower can be very helpful. Oatmeal has a wonderful effect on sore skin. Alleviating dryness and itchiness along with inflammation.
You will need:
- 2 cups of oats. Choose oats as raw as possible, no quick-cooking.
- 1 bar of your favorite soap, grated and set aside. My personal choice is plain Dove.
- 15 drops of essential oil. Choose what works with your skin - my personal favorite is tea-tree.
- Muslin, cotton or cheesecloth bags. You can hand stitch them to size.
- String, rubber band or strips of the cloth. You choose how tie the bags up when you are done.
What you need to do:
- Place your oats in a stainless steel bowl.
- Add the grated soap and mix thoroughly
- Add the essential oils evenly, drop for drop
- Mix properly and set aside.
- Fill each little bag with about half to three quarters of the mixture.
- Tie them and make sure they are secure.
Store in an airtight container and use as needed. I make them smaller for only one use - I find that to be more hygienic. Although, I think you could comfortably use it for two showers.
Wishing you a relaxing and pain-free shower
When you are ready for your shower, allow the warm water to run over the bag and squish it between your fingers. The soap and oats will get the most wonderful soft rich soapy feel. Washing your body gently in warm water.
Be wary of water that is too hot. It's also important to note the cheesecloth will give you a very light exfoliation. Remember to moisturize within five minutes of getting out of the shower. They help lock in the moisture, to prevent excessive cracking and tearing.
Have you found ways to have a stress and pain-free shower? Please share.
Where on your body does psoriasis bother you the most?